Saturday, March 24, 2012

Day 15

Today was everything, but boring. I woke up early and Tim and I went to the start of E3. One of the belgian spring classics. There were thousands of people walking around and surrounding the GIANT sign in stage. Everything about it was so cool. I was on a mission to get autographs and see my favorite pro riders though. I went to the street with all of the team buses and cars. It was packed with people. Every team had a super cool set up. Their buses are really big and look very luxurious (I got to barely peak inside). On top of the team bus, there were two team cars loaded with shiny new bikes and wheels. My favorite rider is Fabian Cancellara because of how he is able to just ride away from everyone else, so I waited outside the Radioschack team bus. Fabian was the last one to come out and when he did, everyone started screaming their heads off. Cyclists are rock stars over here! He didn't sign for anyone though. I even chased him down the street and begged, but he wouldn't even look at me. It is still cool to say that I have been right next to him, let alone even see him in person.

Once I found out that I wasn't going to get his autograph I went on the hunt again. I got Sylvain Chavanel, the French national road champion, and George Hincapie to sign for me. I have to say that George's jaw is very big in person. He was super nice to me and I think that he is a great role model. After that, everyone was at the start line. I was definately star struck after getting both of those two to take time away to sign for me. The start line was super crowded so I just decided to watch the big screen on the sign in stage.

Next Tim and I met back up at the car and went to a cool bike shop in Ghent. This bike shop had everything you could possibly need. It had hundreds of bikes, every single component group out there, and any clothing item you could dream of. American bike shops can learn a thing or two from the bike shops here.

After the bike shop we went back to the house to watch the rest of the race. Tom Boonen won it. I went on a hour ride to get my legs ready for tomorrow's race after watching the finish. We had beautiful weather today. It was super sunny and warm. I am super nervous about this weekend's races knowing that they are my last for this trip. All I know is that I will do my best and see what happens. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment