Friday, March 9, 2012

Day 1 in Belgium

After some long and dreadful flights, I have made it here to Belgium. After leaving the airport with the camp manager, we took a train to the town of Oudenaarde. When I arrived at the house I will be staying at for the next 2 weeks I unpacked my bike and ate some lunch. Lunch basically equalled some really great tasting waffles. After lunch, I went out for an easy spin to loosen up my legs and make sure that my bike was working well. After the bike ride, I went to the local grocery store to stock up on some food. Me and the cashier had some trouble understanding each other because of our different languages so she had to have the next person in line translate to me.The main languages here are French and Dutch, but most people are able to speak English pretty well. The town square is really neat with a giant church in the middle. Well, that pretty much sums up my first day here. I am pretty tired from being awake for over 24 hours so Im going to hit the hay. My first race is tomorrow and hopefully some rest will do me good.

P.S. You have to pay to use most public bathrooms over here. I learned that when this lady started yelling at me in French after I left her restroom without paying.

No comments:

Post a Comment