Friday, November 9, 2012

Putting Things into Perspective

I believe that everyone sees life from a different point of view. I also think that our points of view are created by the experiences that we have had in our life. I do my best to see life through the point of view that everyday is precious and that tomorrow isn't guaranteed. My point of view is created from the fact that life hasn't always been easy for my family. In October, 2010, my friend and cousin Kyle Zuleg was killed after a tree branch fell on him while he was camping. It was a clear night and it was a freak accident. I honestly could not believe that it happened until I was actually going to Chicago for the funeral. Kyle was only 16 and had such a great life ahead of him.

Also, early onset Alzheimers runs on my dad's side of the family.  My dad's dad had it, and I have lost an aunt and an uncle to it already. Since my dad does not have it, I am safe though. Early onset alzheimers is a genetic disease where your brain slowly fails. Many elderly people get alzheimers, but early onset alzheimers starts when you are in your mid-late thirties. While in Texas, I am living with my Aunt who has early onset alzheimers. We just celebrated my Aunt's 44th birthday the other day and she has 3 young children. The disease is getting worse every month and it is hard to watch. I am not even sure if she knows who I am.

I am not saying this to make people feel bad for my family. I am saying this because staying here has given me a new take on life and family. Because of the fact that my family has gone through so many struggles, we are all very close to each other. I would do anything that I could to help out one of my family members or friends who needed me. If I ever get upset at how life is going at a certain moment, I just need to realize that I woke up with great health, a roof over my head, and I have a great family. We should all take time to enjoy the little things in life that make us happy!

Sincerely,
Richard

this is my cousin's website: http://www.kyleshineson.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment